Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

TOP TEN HISTORY RESOURCES - My first Top Ten


I follow Wierd, Unsocialized Homeschoolers, (really enjoy this blog) and when I saw that the Top Ten Tuesday was history, I thought, Yep I can do that.
(this part keeps disappearing when I publish) I love history. I like it so much that when in highschool I took 3 OAC history classes. (for those outside of Ontario they were once grade 13 and required for University). I like it almost as much as geology, which is the history of Earth. We do 3 history classes here; Ancient history, Canadian History & Traditional Native History which ties into Canadian & American History.

  1. Cartoon History Of the Universe - Ancient History. I love this. It started at the big bang (so was more science, but still history). It has great information, but it is not indepth. since I create our curriculum this works , and I bring in more stuff. I also like using cartoons as my kids love cartoons. And it is funny
  2. DK Eyewitness Books. These cover every subject you can think of. Sometimes it is light on content, but I find them worth looking into. I really like when they include a CD of images. We have one on Rome that is full of lots of extras, it is a box set. We will be doing Rome shortly.
  3. Graphic Universe. Yes they make graphic novels. But did you know they make ones of Greek Tales, English Legends, and more? I think studding the stories and beliefs of a people tells you alot about who they were. This is one helpful tool.
  4. Dear Canada Series. I imagine this is like the Dear America series, but it is goes through Canadian History. I just discovered this I must say, and we are on our first one and love it. Kids remember stories better then lessons.
  5. Elders, Teachers, Aunties, Uncles, Storytellers. Our traditional History is not written in book, at least not by us. And when studying someones history through the eyes of an outsider you will always have a skewed sense of those people. In fact maybe everything else we are learning is way off, we don't know. But since us Indians still exist there is no good reason why anyone should learn our history from anyone other then us. Don't know any of us Indians, phone your nearest rez and ask. Some even have their own museums and parks. You can also call your nearest Native Center. If you live in Canada that will be a Friendship Center. Explain you would like your children to learn our history from us. We will appreciate it. The teachings will not include sweat lodges and sun dances, our religion is just for us.
  6. Art, poetry, music and literature. Again it tells who a people are. I use this a lot for our traditional history but it applies to all history. If you are wondering how to use this for Native History, may I suggest plays and books written by my people. Again not our traditional stories, but our lives, our fights in the modern world, our plays and our movies. Just check to see who wrote it.
  7. Internet. A lot to be found here, but it is good to back it up with some research both on and off the net. I really like finding projects here to get the kids into it, and a bit more hands on.
  8. Newspapers. Currant and from the past (thanks to the library and internet). especially the letter to the editor sections. Does anything say more? Yes, which brings us to #9
  9. Political Cartoons. OK, they are within newspapers often (not always) and they really say a lot.
  10. Living Books and the Library. OK I have put some books on here, but going through the library, finding story books, picture books and much more. It is a great way to add to any and all of this.
I thought long and hard about #10. The reason. Well another great way to learn about history is to study the laws of that time and place and people, as well as thier punishments. Sometimes this comes up in the other resources I mentioned. sometimes it doesn't. The internet is one good place to search this as, is the library, newspapers, political cartoons. So I have decided that this was already in my other resources. However I think it still needs mention as not everyone thinks of it.

Some of these top tens on my list have links. I do not review or make money from any of these. I just thought it may be helpful :)

If you wish to participate in the top ten, just join on in. Click the Top Ten Tuesday Button :)

2 comments:

  1. That's a great list. I didn't know about the Dear Canada books. What a great resource for Canadian families or for those studying Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  2. a wealth of knowledge! thank you! {i'm a big fan of Kris WUHS too!}

    ReplyDelete