Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

MIDNIGHT SKATE ON XMAS EVE


Ko-Ko and I went for a midnight skate on xmas eve. I have included pics but I am not the photographer...perhaps Sunny Not will get us some pics soon.

On xmas eve Dad took the kids shopping for my gifts (Any surprised Women?, No eh?). I enjoyed a bit of time at home to myself and got ready to head off to my brothers for some time with my side of the family and a small gift exchange. It was getting close so I told Dad to meet me there and I walked over (it's a 15 minute walk). On the way I noticed that the rink I had seen in the fall (we are new to the neighbourhood) had been filled in and was now an ice rink. I was thrilled because I was not expecting anything till the new year...if ever.

I spent the rest of the walk thinking about going skating. Only the girls and I skate. Runner & SW have decided to give it another try this year, and we will find some second hand skates for them. Sunny Not is growing non-stop and needs new skates....desperatly so she would not be skating with me unless we had a plan. So at my brothers house I asked around. No one has her shoe size...figures, however my sis has a pair that will fit SW.

So Ko-Ko and I will skate. Good. Often she and I skate together...well often being relative. We skate a handful of times a year but with a rink at so very close (1 minute walk tops) I hope that changes.

My brother and I skated all the time at that age and up through high school. We skated well enough for pond hockey and a family game called fox and goose. I realize that is from practice because age, and less practice and I am not the same skater. I am a basic skater and so is Ko-Ko. She is happy enough with that but opportunity & practice will make a huge difference.

So we skated on a mild (-2C) xmas eve. We laughed and talked and skated. It was a perfect Mother - Daughter evening. Being midnight made it seem special and magical. how often do you do midnight things when they are young? Well maybe some do all the time but I am a firm believer in limits and bedtimes; It's what makes nights like that special. She brought up Santa, but I assured her that as family we have an inside scoop on arrival time. After that we were good to go. She has always been a happy skater. She falls, she gets up and keeps going as hpapy as she was before. When I fell...the night ended. It hurt and I am not as young and resilient. We had been out for a little over an hour. It did not seem like it though. It was a good end to the night. We slept well waiting for xmas day.

No comments:

Post a Comment