Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

WORKING AQUEDUCT MODEL


Today was the big day when we built the working model of an aqueduct.

I actually thought this was going to take several days. The day started off rough. Ko-Ko was upset that we were having math first and decided to have a meltdown. When that was over we got to work. I hope that one day we are past her meltdowns.

On To The Aqueduct.

First we needed to build the bones of the system. This was the mountain (a plastic container that had dip in it, on top of some cardboard), the bath house (bottom of a milk carton), sewer (side of a milk carton) and the pipes (straws). Fitting the straws into each container and each other and then securing them to prevent leaks was the most difficult. We ran water through this system several times finding and fixing leaks was the most frustrating. This was where I was most involved.

After that it was the details and this is where Ko-Ko and Runner really excelled. Houses were built, a temple to Jupiter (from our time-line), a triumphal arch, roads, out door toilets over the sewer, a Colosseum and of course bathhouse and aqueduct. The model is not to scale, that would have been tricky.

Here are 2 videos:

This one the kids tell about the features of the model.
And this one you see the model working. We colored the water blue to make it more visible.
The sound is not great so I recommend using speakers or headphones.

6 comments:

  1. Wow!!!
    This is a wonderful aqueduct! Great job kids, I really enjoyed the videos. I'll have to share them with my son when he gets up:)

    (mom, we always have a melt down if math is mentioned before lunch here at our house:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all did an amazing job! I might think of building a clay model aqueduct, but I would never have even dreamed of making one that worked! So cool! My son and I loved the videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids were pleased to her that thier videos were enjoyed.

    If math occurs after lunch our day seems to never end, unless it is a math game.

    I had a teacher for grade ten history that allowed projects instead of essays as long as it took more time and effort then an essay deserving of an A. If the project didn't meet the standards then we would have to still do an essay. So I came up with this idea then and never forgot it. I also discovered that essays were easier...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one ambitious project! It's amazing what a 10 and 8-year-old can accomplish.

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys did an awesome job! I love how you built it as an actual working model with the water running down the aqueduct to the bath and so on- fantastic! Very impressive!!!

    My daughter is currently doing a unit on the ancient Romans and you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank-you. If you try this out keep in mind that putting together the point (straws) was difficult and required my help. Then we ducktaped them to secure them. A good straw that won't split easily is a must.

    ReplyDelete