Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Old Lessons

When I started homeschooling in December 2008 I went with school at home. I didn't realize there were other methods. In less then a year I was looking for other methods and became a unit study, lab book, educational games, projects and experiments, living book junkie type :)

Well old lessons need to be re-learned sometimes. I went with a curriculum this fall out of fear (custody case).

It wasn't great. For Ko-Ko it just doesn't sink in doing worksheets.

So we are back to our old ways (still using curriculum for math).


Right now we are reading "Shannen's dream for a school". A true story about the kids in Attawapiskat (northern Ontario). We are doing vocabulary and spelling from words in the book. Chosen when she asks what they mean. Geography and geology based on the book. Plus the book is about currant history and politics. What more could you ask for? Art, well she has made some lovely protest signs just like the kids in the book.

So glad to be back at it our way. And I totally recommend this book.

http://www.janetwilson.ca/shannen-and-the-dream-for-a-school.html

You can also learn about the Shannen's Dream foundation and watch you tube videos of the kids speaking so google away "Shannen's Deam".


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. yay, love the blog! my family is doing our best to life the traditional lifestyle as well. I homeschool my oldest, who is 12. We do an integrated aboriginal content homeschooling studies in BC. My daughter loves it. For the first 3 yrs we didn't registar with any school. This is now our 4th year. My daughter learns our own language, maps traditional fishing locations, and traditional place names. She has regular curriculum books, but is able to substitute at any time, our own aboriginal content. Science comes with harvesting traditional medicines and animals for food and monitoring the weather.
    Anyhow, I'm excited to have found your blog! I've been wishing to connect with other aboriginal homeschooling families out there.
    Cuu,

    ReplyDelete