Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 1, 2010

FOSSIL HUNTING












My dad (Grandpa) came and took us to a lakefront neighborhood with a few limestone beaches. We went to the one we went to when I was a kid. Limestone flats, and limestone rocks. We picked us rocks looking for hints of fossil. Then we smashed them open looking on the inside.

Ko-Ko was a natural at it. SW found some quartz (very small) and started chipping the rocks to find more. He found lots of tiny deposits and was very pleased. Ko-Ko Grandpa and I were splitting the rocks to find what was inside (as I mentioned).

When Grandpa told her that she was bringing light to the inside of a rock that had not been exposed to light in millions of years she got busier, she really liked that.

Runner looked for a bit but was drawn to all around him. Exposed roots, shells, ducks and gnerally the water. He stared at it and skipped stones. Indy was thrilled that we were throwing rocks and joined in.


What We Found
Or what we think we found...
2 leaf fossils, one fairly clear-ish, photographed OK
trace fossil, lots of dots and squiggles.
many pieces showing patterned ridges. All near the edge of a break. The kids were excited but I was hoping for something I could easily identified....

Ko-Ko Delivers!A worm fossil and our biggest, clearest and it is complete, the only other (almost) complete one was one of the leaf fossils. Best of all it was a fun day. And I decided I would so like to buy a house in that neighborhood. I wanted to when I was young as well (but had forgot). My Dad showed me the streets that had more affordable houses on them
(didn't know there was any in that neighborhood.)...so here's to positive thinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment