Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Giving Workboxes A Try

A number of Homeschooling parents swear by the workbox system. There are pages, articles, websites on how to implement the workbox system. I have read (OK mostly skimmed) a number of these. It sounds like a good system, but just not for me.

Last night however as i was on a roll getting worksheets, lapbooks and unit studies together for the week (yes I made the kids my own pre-packaged lapbook but I can't share with you due to an unfortunate delete of half of it after printing the first copy, at least I could copy for myself what I had printed, anyway, back on topic). I piled them up into the kids baskets.

You see I have baskets that hold the kids work while in the bush, on vacation, or if at home hold stuff or supplies for a few days or the week, much like a work box system but on a scale that takes way less space. just one stacking plastic dollar store basket each, plus one for me holding shared books and plastic envolopes for each kids finished work,

I know it nearly is a work box system but since they are each doing mostly the same thing they move on to the subject I say. But as I piled each kids entire week into a basket last night I though why not make a list outlining what is to be done and let them do it each part when they want. My rule I gave them is that what is not done Friday will be done on their own time over the weekend, and mostly on their own.

SW was thrilled to work at this own pace as he does in math. I pointed out that I would like to see what he is doing early on so that if he is way off base I can show him (we have had this issue in math). I also said that if he doesn't understand to google first. He likes it and was off. He did more of the reading side of things today. I hope he passes himself well.

Ko-Ko was way easier to manage since she felt more in charge (YEAH!) I am worried for sure about how she is pacing herself. If she doesn't do more she will have a lot to do on the weekend.

Runner I am hoping learns some independence. He thought he was more independant today, I didn't feel that he was but hopefully what he is feeling is the idea that he can be (baby steps). He definatly will be done if he keeps this pace up.

So I see why parents like this, and I didn't feel (yet) like I was teaching the same thing 3 times over. I hope this works for us.

....And guess what I have in store next week? SW has something he wants to learn about so we discussed how he can spend his week learning all about it on his own. So (for SW at least) next week will be very unschooly, don't tell DH, he doesn't know what unschooling is and somethings are easier not to explain, but rather let happen and speak for themselves :)

No comments:

Post a Comment