Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Wahtha Ceremony

This week we celebrated the sap from the Maple tree, we call this sweetwater or Wahtha

So yesterday we went to the Wahtha ceremony. I had every intention if bringing you a blog full of pictures but I forgot my phone. It was an odd feeling being without it.

So I will tell you.

The day started with everyone gathering and greeting each other hugging dear friends and family who we saw earlier that week or not since last ceremony or social. Then before noon we came to gather to start. We start with the thanksgiving address (short version, about an hour) and a smudge and a good teaching about the sweetwater. We stood as a family and enjoyed the teachings that we all hold dear and know well.

This is a special time of year to me. I met DH at sweetwater and I had Indy at sweetwater. I cry every time :)

Thus year my little Ko-Ko was asked to be the young Woman who handed out the sweetwater. She did so slowly and carefully (traits she usually doesn't exhibit). She said Nia:wen to each person as they thanked her. We don't say your welcome. We repeat back thanks.

After there was goo food , lots of talking and then singing and drumming and I sang my heart out. The Native highschool came. They greeted all the old people. Gave out hug to them and their Aunties and socialized well. They hung out with SW which made him feel big and one of Sunny Nots friends incites Ko-Ko to hang out too. This was nice because unfortunately nit many kids were there. Another benefit to homeschool except that when my kids were in ps I always pulled them anyway.

The day did have somewhat of a sobering mood at times. Jan Longboat a dearly loved and respected Elder who I had just seen a month ago at the Elders conference, and a dear friend of Grandma Claus, took a heart attack the night before. She is in hospital recovering. We all prayed for her and she will be in our hearts each day as we give thanks. So I ask those who read my blog, what ever your spiritual beliefs please pray for our Elder's recovery. This is a kind lady with some of the greatest medicinal knowledge and general plant knowledge in all of Canada. Nia:Wen (thanks).

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment