Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, March 11, 2011

Planning Our Powwow Season...and those extra pounds.

Today a friend called me up to plan out the powwow season with me. We powwow at a number of the same powwows. She does more then I do, traveling with another friend who thinks she won't go this year. Her issue is body image. My body image has sure changed in the past year and a bit. i am not happy with it and am thinking it is time to join the Native centers weight loss program. I am glad that allthough I am not happy with my currant size that it will not control my life. It will not keep me from things I (and my family) love to do. I am also happy that a negative self image will not be passed to my children (especially my girls) from me. Telling Ko-Ko that her friend and Mom don't plan on joining us this year was difficult but it did lead to a good discussion about image.

So why am I throwing friend issues out here and will I get to the powwow planning part?

Yes I will get to the powwow part.

I think it is important. Our image of ourselves impact our kids, maybe not as obviously as not taking them to powwows all summer as they usually do, to enjoy a part of ones culture, but they still do. How many of us don't wear a bathing suit, or wear something over it? Some may not because they are so reveling, but what if we don't because of how we look in them? what does that say to our children? I was one of those lately. Last week though I bought a bathing suit that fit well and I am happy with, fatter tummy and all. Do we groan on the scale? Do we whine at the candy counter? Clearly their are many areas to work on while at the same time improving our body in a healthy way...lets keep the groaing to times when we are out with friends and the kids are at home...or when they are tucked in bed and we are trying not to midnight snack...time to call our healthy living worker.

Onto the powwows. So the plan is No Hiawatha again :( *sigh
Kingston Children's powwow, June 17 & 18. Not fantastic, but local.
Scugog Powwow, July 16, 17 & 18. Like this powwow. Biggest one we do.
Algonquin Park Powwow, August 5,6, & 7. Our favorite and grows every year. The msot traditional of any we have ever been too.
Tyendinaga Powwow. August 12, 13, 14 We will see what we can do. It is 2nd home for Dh's family who come from the six, but we are to often to close to the politics (except me who just ignores it for the weekend).
Golden Lake Powwow August 19, 20, 21. This should be just Ko-Ko and I with friends, or this year, with one other friend, of course we will see many friends there. It might be as big as Scugog
Silver Lake August 27 & 28. Might go up for a day. Another local one, not the greatest, but local.
Queen's University Powwow Sept 24th. it's decent, food sucks but we will deal.

August is packed for powwows around here as you can see. This means money plays into it. Wish it didn't but gas keeps going up and so does food, and while we will be fed some meals (all at the park) there is still snacks, travelling food, and food during the week at the park. we stay the week at the park (Algonquin) but this year I am doing that grocery shop...hotdogs and beans all the way!.

I also have to finish sewing. It has been hit and miss. But I have some beadwork to finish for myself, and I have been collecting material for Ko-Ko for a new regalia. Weather or not I get to sewing it will be another thing. It should be done in the winter, but as long as I plan, cut applique and buy materials at this time I feel OK. I prefer to sew in spring. Mostly because one year I made a regalia for Sunny Not in the winter and by spring she couldn't even get it on. She grew 5 inches! It scared me off a bit. Prep work in the winter feels like I am still keeping the traditions, and that prep work (like cutting applique) can be very time consuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment