Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

FULL MOON


Tonight was our traditional Native Full Moon Ceremony. Mohawk way as Grandma Claus (my mom in law) is Mohawk. It was also a first. We had this one at home. In the past we always traveled to the rez or up north. Grandma Claus learned to do full moon from her teacher on the rez (Tyendinega). But she was given the push when her teacher had to go away. So it was time.

Now I know many think our culture is cool etc (mostly yuppies and stuff), and this sounds fun, but it's a lot of work. We have hosted enough ceremonies to know it's a lot of work. Put we did it. And two days after getting home from powwow no less. Cuz Monday I was exhausted. Had a nap. Did no cleaning. So 2 days worth of cleaning, backyard clean up, laundry, dishes, supper and cook for a midnight feast. Plus I wasted 3 hours fighting with the city. We technically are not allowed to have a ceremony (sacred fire). we pretend it will be somewhere it is not. They have our address and if someone phoned we would be fined. However I made small headway. They will come check out our yard. They will also have my husband show how a sacred fire is done (in the technical, not spiritual sense). I explained that my husband is the only fire keeper in the city who is a real traditional, trained as a child, chosen by the old people fire keeper. Has been trained longer then a doctor. I hope we get it eventually. I would love to say "OK so we are having ceremony this weekend, just so you now....as it should be.

Eventually everything is ready. I showered and dressed and felt ready. It was nearly perfect. I say nearly cuz my teaching is that nothing is perfect. And Sunny Not left. She was rude to Grandma Claus (as she is to her other granny too, but this is my house). I asked her to apologize and she refused. I said she can not attend ceremony conducted by the person she is being rude too. She left. I don't think she gets that it breaks my heart.

Big day for Runner as he got to further his training. It was nearly perfect. One of the other two NDN homes on our cul de sac helped out. 2 of my kids were involved. The weather beautiful and no neighbors called the cops on us WOO HOO! Hope you all had good days too.

No comments:

Post a Comment