Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, August 23, 2010

GOLDEN LAKE POWWOW

DISCLAIMER: I wrote this on very little sleep
I love this powwow, but the end is even more sad because it is our families last full weekend powwow. This one was vacation for SW and I. Each year, I take one child to powwow. They go 2 yrs in a row. I started this with Sunny Not 4 yrs ago. t an age where they do not need my constant eye on them. When they are old enough to behave and hang out with their powwow friends, but young enough that they are not tipi creeping (an activity involving young adults and hormones for those not up on Native slang). Next year is
Ko-Ko's turn.

We arrived in beautiful weather, set up our tents, (with tarps). SW
started us a nice fire. we roasted hot dogs. He found his powwow friends and visited. My friend Christina (who SW and I traveled with) and I found some of our friends, checked in, visited. We knew everyone in the clearing we were camped in which was nice as well. Later our friend Marie and her daughter showed up. We roasted marshmallows and talked ill around midnight and then went to bed. I bought another new air mattress. I spent more money and got a good one, a double high to...I felt like princess and
the pea, and I slept like princess too.



Saturday rained. It rained all day. Some times it was light rain & we all danced more. At Golden Lake the dance circle is not defined z by ropes or cedar but by bleachers and trees. There are some open spots for those of us who prefer to bring our own seating (most dancers do). The MC suggested that the spectators in the bleachers (each with a tarp canopy)lend u dancers an umbrella during the flag song and giving thanks etc. It started pouring during grand entry. As the rain lightened up, I went from wet to damp, but cold. I spent the rest of my money on a sweater. Sw
spent his all on food. I suspect candy but he claims Indian tacos.
Normally I would believe that but he spent a lot of time at a vendor called the "candy shack". The feast that night was great...loved the moose balls and the lemon meringue pie. Warmclotghes and food made us feel sleepy. Christina and her daughter went to sleep. But I had no little ones, so Marie and her daughter and I went vsiting different camp fires of friends. The rain stopped shortly after dark. Marie and I went to the dance circle (it doesn't close till 10pm at Golden Lake) and took in a few dances. SW was there rockin the social songs (my kids love these).
Then we finished visiting and crashed after some girl talk.
Mos tdancers wore shoes, and also some wore sweaters etc...
it was cold and rainy, bu that is powwowing in Ontario.

Sunday SW and I woke up and still no rain (Marie and I told everyone it wouldn't rain despite the cloudy sky). So we packed up. It started raining after we were done. We went to breakfast after which Marie and Christina had to pack up in the rain. However it stopped before grand entry and stayed dry with the odd misting until giveaway when it started to spit. Couldn't be better. We left and drove the 2 hours and a bit to Napanee where we got McDonalds (no where for food before that). We could have stayed for the fest but that would have been really late. We were going to spend the night again but SW had camp...next year we will
l stay an extra night.

The dancing was fun, the conversations full of laughter and the foodwas good and warm...what more could you ask for?



























No comments:

Post a Comment