Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 14, 2011

They Want To Be Rock Stars!

Yep, like many their age some of my kids want to be rock stars. It has been mentioned that they won't really need school if they are rock stars. I have pointed out that rock stars need an education to prevent being screwed in contracts. Being good at writing is important if you plan to write songs. Speaking ability would be good for promoting yourself, handling interviews and celebrity endorsements. Math would be wise for budgeting. I also pointed out that a back up career is advisable...harsh and not exactly "you can be what ever you want to be". Sort of. We often study their favorite songs as poetry. I believe in helping them with their goals. Part of that is facing reality. You can't prepare for something without all the information after all.

So to that end I have put together a unit study I have called "A Music Career". I talk about contracts, found some info on the net I had no idea about (learn so much doing this). I cut and pasted this info and some contract samples. Talked about their importance, entertainment lawyers, managers and wrote a scenario situation for them.

For the child who doesn't see the point of penmanship I explain about signing a contract in manuscript and cursive and give them practice.

There is space and suggestion for brainstorming their next great hit, as well as writing suggestions and a spot for their final draft.

You need a name, got to decide if you are a solo act or a band and design your CD cover. Again with brainstorming space and space for the final design.

Then there is the money. How much do you make if you sell 1 million albums...you know after everyone else gets their cut and costs are covered. Thankfully I found this info as well. Again cut and paste (just the percentages here) and then writing up the math questions to figure it all out.

So after you see what you have made (compared to your record label) you may want to get a few celebrity endorsements. Of course out will need to decide what you are and are not willing to endorse.

I am very pleased with myself . I managed to include: Language Arts, Math (adding, subtracting, multiplying, divideing and percentages), Reading comprehension, Problem solving, Art and ethics all together in a unit for future musicians. Yes Music is not encluded but they will be practicing their songs and perhaps they will appear on here (if the children are willing to put it out there). I will probably need to proof read later (when it is not 1:30) but I was so pleased with myself I thought I would share. I just hope it helps them understand a little bit that education is needed no matter what your goal.

On the other hand SW is doing great on his own project on Urban Farming. I will share that when he is at the next stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment