Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Workbox Experiment

So over the last several weeks I have tried out workboxes. In the hopes of my children learning some work ethic, time management and (educational) independence I laid out a weeks worth of work. And a list of what to complete. They struggled with the time management portion. I suggested that they needed to complete more in a day. They disagreed. It took two weeks. I wondered if perhaps I had planned two much, after all on the second week they put in many hours completing the work.

The following week I looked at the work I had created for them and gave everything a point value. I made a lust if what had to be completed. I told them they needed to complete 5 points worth of work a day until it was all done. We were derailed by our week. Monday we had a homeschool science class and drama so that became our off day as we do a 4 day school week. Then there was the day that the last of Grandma Claus' boxes were delta with. And then Friday we were to spend the afternoon with our community. It should have been our off day as nothing (school work wise) was done at the Native center. Plus on another day Ko-Ko and Runner barely completed a thing.

So what does it all mean?

I think SW did well with this system. I may continue this way for him. But for the other two they will have to work under my direction. I think I will have the two of them decide together what 5 points they will complete...with me. Work boxes are not for everyone, I will try again sometime though, when they have matured a bit.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment