Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, October 11, 2010

10/10/10 Ko-Ko's Golden Birthday!

Ko-Ko turned ten today on 10/10/10. It is considered to be a Golden birthday. It is rare. In China it is a lucky day. It is the day I have been waiting ten years for. When she was born on 10/10/2000 I realized we would be having a special party on this day

Usually we celebrate Ko-Ko's birthday the following weekend because this is thanksgiving weekend in Canada. But this year we had to do it on the day. It is hard to get people to a party when families are all visiting but four of her closest friends came. It helps that a number of Native families like ours celebrate harvest instead which is about this time of year but not necessarily the same week.

We went swimming at the





Ambassador which is the big place here to swim. The Native after-school program set it up for free for us being it's her big golden birthday. We swam for two hours, played pool games, sat in the hot tubs and went down the water slide. Back home we had Indian tacos which is everyones favorite powwow food. An Indian taco has all your fave taco toppings except the meat is wild meat and instead of a taco shell it is served on bannock (Native fry bread). You have to eat it with a knife and fork and many napkins. The kids played in the park and on the trampoline and then Ko-Ko open many wonderful gifts and we had cupcakes.





The cupcakes turned out great. I made red velvet cake for the cupcakes using allrecipe.com. I used the advice from one of the ratings to beat the egg mixture for ten minutes and I was careful to fold in the soda vinegar mixture. That is what makes it rise so folding well and pouring into cupcake tins and getting into the oven quickly was essential. I then kept everyone outside while they baked. This I did the day before. Then I iced them and put them in the fridge. The ghost cupcakes were iced with a swirled peak to hold up the fondant. I made marshmallow fondant (also allrecipe.com). It is easy and tasty, unlike regular fondant. I also made this the day before plus I had some in blue from SW's birthday 12 days ago. The ghosts were made from large circles of fondant. I skewered out two eye holes (icing underneath is chocolate cream cheese icing, holds well after being refrigerated overnight). Then I placed on top of icing swirl and pinched in some folds. The mummies I made by placing on two cinnamon heart candies for eyes. Cutting fondant strips and placing them to look like mummy





wrapping. I saw these on a site somewhere and they suggested piping icing for this but it was way easier to do in fondant. The monsters where going to look like skulls, specifically Jack from nightmare before Christmas (her fave movie) but when I ran out of fondant Ko-Ko suggested using the blue from SW's bday. So they became monsters. I made them with a circle on fondant. I used a knife to score in the face and cut licorice shoelace into pieces for the smile. I used a tiny bit of what was left of white fondant on top of the smile like crazy teeth or stitches or something. Then a poked holes and pressed in skittles for eyes.





Ko-Ko is downstairs playing games and watching g movies (not usually available in bedrooms here but it is set up for slumber parties). They are eating the rest of the treats. She is a very happy ten yr old tonight and I am a very happy Mom that my sweetheart has such a special birthday. I hope she remembers it always.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment