Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

WE MADE A LIGHT BULB

So like I said, this is science week. But Pics first!
Science week day 1, Thomas Edison.


Ko-Ko adding filament
Runner adding negative charge

Then the positive (SW took the pics) Pretending to get an electric shock
LIGHT!!
links to work we did at bottom.
We started our day off with math and spelling. Then we read about Thomas Edison. Stopping at each paragraph (or two) to write down a key note on the white board (working on taking notes). After reading we talked about what we read. How we have movie stars and rock stars and electricity in our homes because of Thomas Edison. How if people had listened to him car motors would have stayed electric and we would have less pollution now. We discussed his work ethic and his attitude towards learning. We discussed the telegraph and how cool it must have seemed to him...kind of like the internet.

The kids worked a bit on their worksheets and then had 30 minutes outside to play (they did have shorter breaks earlier). While outside they invited the kindergarten boy next door (his day off on every other day K). I like to invite the 4 and 5 yr olds to join for experiments sometimes. They find it fun and their parents thinks it's great (the parents are all jealous of what my kids are learning vs their ps kids, so no 'worried neighbors') .

I like to have science be a mix of listening, writing, discussing and hands on. Then I have covered various learning styles because my kids all learn differently. Ko-Ko needs redirecting frequently so this really helps her. It also helps the boys who can get caught up in her antics if I don't keep them all on track. I am thinking Thomas Edison sounded like an easier pupil for his Mom...this may be evident in some of my content on the worksheets. On to the experiment. Finally the time had arrived! We used the experiment I found here. I always look to see if I can find multiple sites with the same instructions (I feel more confident it will work). We followed the directions except we could not find a cork so we used plasticine (worked well).

Today is homework & a hike at the Native center. The kids have a word search (some of the words are answers to the worksheet if they get stuck) to do, plus finish up either their worksheets or finish up their report on the experiment. I made a report page specific to this although I have a general one I usually use. My kids love science and are happy they have it all week. I had fun too. The experiment really was easy (a bit fiddly). Short easy experiment s keeps ADD kids like Ko-Ko involved till the end.
Thomas Edison Worksheet
Our Light Bulb Report
Thomas Edison Word Search
We wrapped up the day singing and learning the drum song "soldier boy". I am sure Edison would have recorded us!

Is this a typical science day? Pretty much, we don't build light bulbs everyday. We tend to do things more like the shoebox moon experiment we will do later this week. We also usually don't use most of the day, so what we did today might be over two days. I do however search the net and books and create our curriculum for each day (all subjects but math). This week you can read about how others do science too over at the currclick blog.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it was lots of fun. I love how the neighbors are jealous about what your children are learning! I also search the internet (and my hard drive) for what we'll do each day. Sometimes I feel that I am too scattered, but then I try to remember the great variety my kids are getting. :-)

    ReplyDelete