Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Toaster

They don't make them like they used to.

We seem to go through toasters rather quickly. Not in months or anything, but one every 3 or 4 years.


One could argue that this is the life of a toaster. I however know this isn't true. Before writing this blog I phoned my Mom. She said when we were young it was about ten years between toasters, and by that time it needed an update (visually) for the new decade. But she agreed she is now getting about 5 years out of a toaster (no more kids = less wear).

My Grandmother however had the toaster she received as a wedding present in the early 1930's. When she died at the age of 97 my sister received Grandma's four slice toaster.



My Grandma cleaned her kitchen after every meal. After breakfast this included shinning her toaster. My sister (the only one of the grandchildren who ever slept in) heard this story all the time. If someone was there to listen Grandma told about her wedding present toaster that was still as shinny as the day she got it, and worked just as good. This was because she looked after it every day. 'People just don't so that anymore' she would say. Grandma didn't need a tray under her toaster cuz she cleaned under it every day.



I thought of this again this morning. I thought of it as I used my husbands prized junk store find. We again are down a modern toaster. However about 9 years ago my husband found a toaster at a junk store. It us probably older then my Grandma's. Grandma's popped up, new tech. DH's does not. You open the sides. Place in the toast. Plug in the toaster and watch carefully. It quickly toasts the toast better then a modern one. But you have to open it, flip the toast and repeat. To turn it off you must unplug it. The children are NOT allowed to use it.



This morning SW made French toast for some an fried eggs for others. I used DH's ancient toaster for this having plain fried eggs. After cleaning the kitchen from breakfast I scrubbed and shinned that toaster. I also discovered it is by Toastess.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment