Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 13, 2011

When In Rome

Soon our history lessons will take us to Rome. Not literally (unless I have a lucky lottery ticket), but through the pages of books, videos of you tube and info on the net.

I think this will be another big study like Egypt was although I am hoping it does not take us two months.

We will of course be using our "Cartoon History of the Universe" We have to skip ahead to the next book. Yeah I remember deciding to do history in order but I thought I would be here by now. We will back track when done. Sometimes I wonder if I could base an entire curriculum on history? I think to get through this in a more orderly fashion I will need to focus much of our curriculum into history. there is always so much to learn it seems.

Anyway

We also have the "DK Eye Witness Ancient Rome" box set. We also are borrowing a book of my dads "Roman Aromas" (it's a scratch and sniff history). Hmm...there are more...they will go on my wish list.

On you tube is a bunch of Horrible Histories videos. We also have the books (many of them). We also have some other more serious videos book marked such as the pbs series The Roman Empire in the first Century.

We plan on taking close look at the aqueducts, the baths, gladiators, Pompeii, (found the documentary for that on you tube that I watch a few years back) and the act of conquering. I remember as a kid building a model of an aqueduct thanks to a grade ten history teacher who would accept any project that took more effort then an essay. So we will see if his class was interesting enough that it stuck in my head. And if I can get younger kids to build it. I think I can. I am also thinking of doing a mosaic. I am however looking for other cool projects. If you have suggestions let me know. I will be posting what we do of course. We may perhaps also go see "The Eagle" which is currently in theaters.

I have compiled so much for us to cover. The problem is I do not have much of a plan. I need a plan. So tonight I need to put it all in some kind of order.

No comments:

Post a Comment