Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 12, 2010

LOOKING BACK ON OUR 1ST WEEK BACK TO HOMESCHOOL


It is good to look at back at the first week. What worked, what didn't. ALSO at the bottom a bit about Runners birthday party!

MATH: We need some review. I found some worksheets on-line here & here I used some from both. I really liked the first ones from Nelson and I will look into it more as their "try it" sheets are so explanatory. My text books for math "Math Smart" is rigorous and packed but light on explanation. I may need to keep looking on line for intros into each topic

HISTORY: we are starting our first lapbook while we learn about Egypt. After reviewing how it's going I am happy with it but think I need to add a weekly trip to the library to add more living books to the subject as well as a book or two on Egypt today. Being Native I know it is frustrating when people (Adults not just kids) are shocked to meet "a real live Indian", as though we ceased to exist after the 19th century. I suspect it may be similar for Egyptians.

L.A.: I have truthfully struggled to get this in each day, but when we settle a bit more I will put in more effort or adjust my "schedule" of sorts. Working on some aspects of it, but others still nee to be fit in.

GEOLOGY AND SCIENCE: good as ever.

SOCIAL STUDIES: The kids seemed to enjoy the one from their text books last year. I think I will give it more time. I have some great living books for this subject area that we will be getting into. I also have quiz games for this.

ARTS: We do art in some subjects. The kids drum and sing traditionally & for PE we are getting a YMCA membership, we are out walking regularly, playing, and Friday swimming with the Native center.

RUNNERS BIRTHDAY PARTY:
Was a success. We had strawberry cake (which meant separate cake for Indy who is allergic). It was a Treasure chest cake (pictured above). He also had pop, chips and bannock dogs. Bannock dogs are hot dogs wrapped in a fry bread dough ( fairly basic dough) that is then deep fried. We put a strip of cheese and line of BBQ sauce inside when wrapping it in the dough. This is one or Runners favorites and we all enjoy it. I learned long ago that children just like to play. So parties go: free play, eat and gifts, free play. When they are younger gifts are last because little ones want their gift played with and parts and things get lost before the birthday child has a chance to explore the gift. Runner is past this stage. They played at the park, on the trampoline and on the wii....mostly they were outside. I used to plan activities and crafts and such. It was a lot of work and we always ran out of time. I have to admit a few were worth it. OK the only good ones were from Ko-Ko's parties but since whe always had Halowe'en themes it was easy to find ideas and think them up. My favorites were:
  1. painting pumpkins with glow in the dark paint.
  2. decorating cloth trick or treat bags (I made the bag ahead of time) we also used glow in the dark paint (it was the same year) and the parents liked that the kids had bags that made them easy to spot at night.
  3. carving pumpkins (8 yrs old). This was great and only one girl was grossed out by the slime. We roasted the seeds and sent everyone home with some. But like I said it took work.
I may bring two of these back because I think they will be interesting with older children...but back to Runner. Boys like to play and run and wrestle and get dirty and play video games and be loud. Let them. Once you ALLOW this behavior it isn't stressful and they are happy and worn out when it is over. After Runner and I went to see "The Other Guys". Funy. Humour is rathr adult but some that the kids will get too. Unfortunately Runner got a tooth ache and h\we left early. we will try again another time.
Disclaimer to those thinking "she said it was a good movie, I'll take my 8 yr old" I want you to know that we all allow different things and I did take my kids to see "Kick Ass" so if you are strict about guidelines, ratings and such, go see "Nanny McFee", also remember I live in Canada, where the guidelines are not as strict. What is rated 18A here, is often an R in the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment