Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, September 27, 2010

QUEENS UNIVERSITY POWWOW


It was a one day powwow, and it was our last till next spring. The Powwow had some special moments for me.

Indy who has been unwilling to go into the powwow circle until last month at Silver Lake, was excited to put o his dance regalia (he calls them Powwow clothes),and went in the circle many times until he happily took a rest in his stroller for a nap, after which he was back in.

SW spent the day with the Drum from the Native Friendship Center. The drum is really coming along and the boys love it. Runner spent some time at the drum, some time dancing and some time catching up with his life long (as in from the womb) best bud. But my favorite was during the Womens Tradish exhibition (that's my category) my boys were drumming and singing. I could barely take my eyes of them as I danced, I was one proud Momma.

Ko-Ko tried something new. The new Native cadets were at the powwow (the military college RMC is one of the local colleges) and they were called up an asked to try out a smoke dance, after all this is Mohawk territory. Sadly my kids haven't learned smoke dance. Probably because I don't know it being Lakota and all and I am the one who taught them dancing. Anyway her and some friends went out and gave it a try. I got the tail end of it recorded. It was the first time I recorded on my iphone so the beginning, I wasn't recording but I thought I was, eventually I realized otherwise. Indy is the toddler in blue in the foreground at the beginning of the video. And beyond him is Ko-Ko in red with her pals. One in a pink sweater and blue skirt (it was a chilly day) and one in a white top and gold skirt...lets hope I can get this video on here).

The children were well behaved and made me proud. Sadly Sunny Not had been planning a trip since June that was the same weekend. But in June we thought this powwow was going to be the previous week. Oh and when it looks like everyone is done dancing and just walking around the circle, keep watching, they aren't done yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment