Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

MY NEW BUNDT PAN


Cake Recipe included in this post.

I ordered two bunt pans off Ebay the other week. I lost a bid for a Cathedral bunt pan (I really want one). So arriving today at my door - at 8 am :( was a package containing my "rose' bunt pan. I was thrilled. So I had to use it! and to show off it's ridges I would need a glazed cake or one dusted with icing sugar. I was also thinking walnuts.

So off to the lovely cake book I got from the library. Nothing :(

On to the internet to All Recipes.com. Nothing :(

In this situation I make one. I have figured out some basics. I need 2 - 3 cups flour for a bunt cake. 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup of milk, at least 1 cup of sugar (more if I add something bitter like cocoa, bakers chocolate, coffee or cinnamon), 1 teaspoon baking powder, maybe a dash of salt and eggs (2-6).

Here is what I came up with:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
dash of salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon all spice
1 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon ground coffee
2 or 3 tablespoon cocoa (I dumped in what I had left, I am guessing on the amount)
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 egg yokes
4 egg whites
1 cup milk
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour bunt pan well. - This bunt pan is smaller then my other one so I had some left over, not to worry the kids love cake batter:)

Put in a bowl; flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, ginger and coffee. Use a wisk to mix it up, this works instead of sifting.

In another bowl cream together sugar, butter and vanilla.
Separate your eggs. Add in egg yokes one at a time, beating well in between each one.
**The best cakes are the ones beaten the longest between creaming,each egg & following steps..
Add 1/3 of dry ingredients to creamed mixture and beat well. Repeat until it is all mixted together. Stir in walnuts well.
Beat your egg whites until thick and frothy. (this takes a while). When done fold into batter with a spatula until no white streaks show.
Pour into bunt pan, place in middle of oven for 50- 60 min or in my oven we call that 70-80 min but I know how my oven compares to other peoples recipes :(
Send kids outside for a 50-60 minute recess. -Don't want that cake to fall.
I find this is a good time to mop floors and go on the computer.

After my cake came out of the oven we had soup for lunch and finished our school work. we have been reading about the CPR railway being built across Canada so they each wrote about it from a different perspective. There was way to much noise for the cake to have been baking during this time. Indy was crying for candy and eventually fell asleep. the kids were laughing about who each child was pretending to be as they wrote. There was the occasional silly comment but what was written was good. The boys took the joking a bit to far, to the point of being disruptive and I had to reel them in. But it got done THEN I took a knife and evened off the top of the cake (It will be the bottom of the cake cuz it's a bunt pan), and de-panned it onto a try, the dusted with icing sugar - It was a heavy dusting :)

I am calling it Mocha walnut Spice Cake. It is mildly chocolate Mocha. Not to sweet. The spice sounds heavy in the recipe but that is to not be swallowed by the coffee, it is a generally mildly flavored cake. I willneed to convince DH of this, he is not into sweet (like most of my cakes).

Hope you all enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment